Friday, September 11, 2009

8 years since the world stopped turning...

I cannot belieive it has been 8 years since 9/11 became more than any other day. Has it really been that long? We were living in a small town in Wisconsin, a town of 2600 people, and I remember where I was. I was sitting in the old cafateria in the high school, I was a freshman, and I think it was my 2nd class of the day (I don't remember the time, but I remember what happened that day.) I was talking to Aaron and Josh in our no-talking study hall, and Mr. Kinziger was the study hall instructor. One of the office ladies came in or something, and then the tiny TV in the corner got turned on, and the 2nd plane hit. All we did the rest of the day was watch the news in (almost) every class... I say almost because we didn't have the TV on in Math class, we didn't even talk about it, and I don't think we had the TV on in wood shop either, but I we talked about what happened. Now, I don't know anyone who was in the Towers or used to work in the Towers, I didn't know a single one of the 2,974 people that died that day, or anyone in New York even, but I felt the ripple of emotion flow thru me as if someone I love very much was there. I get pretty emotional when this subject is brought up, not only because I am very Partiotic, but because I have not forgotten the looks on the people's faces around town when the news was broken, the looks on the faces of the soldiers that remember what it's like to be over there, the news reporters, my mom crying, the whole school going silent, and people crying as the announcement was made. I am a visual person, and I remember so alarmingly well, all of these pictures, it's as if they are burned into mind, and they will never fade.

Our town has a high military turn out, always has and I think it always will. Alot of my friends went into the military, and quite a few of them have served in Iraq since 9-11-01. My best friend of all time served over there as a Marine, I missed her tons and tons while she was there. I have such a great and deep respect and love for the friends of ours who serve/d overseas. And I am grateful for all of the soldiers over there and over here. The Army Reserve unit that (most) the soldiers from our town go to, have a symbol, a logo, and while I dated a boy from that unit, and while he was over there, I put that logo on my car, and I still have that logo on my truck today. (I used to have one of the yellow "Support our Troops" magnets, but someone stole it, I'm not worried, maybe needed the pride more than I do.)


We have since moved to Colorado, and even though it is a HIGHLY democratic state, with a heavy push with the "Bring home the troops" campaign, there are signs that, even though the citizens want the soldiers home, they still respect and love them. There are yellow ribbons around every light pole in the neighborhood our church is in. I didn't know this until yesterday actually : Every friday, the company I work for, has Red-Shirt day. We are to wear Red in support of the troops that have served, are serving, will serve. I had NO idea!! I've heard people sound shocked when 2 people wore the same shirt, but I didn't know they all wore red for reason! Today is the first friday that I (intentionally) wore red! :)


We are so very blessed that there are men and women out there putting their lives on the line every minute of every day, so that we may be safe here at home. I love each and every one of them for doing what they do, and not expecting any form of Thanks in return. I wish we would never forget why they are giving their lives, why they are over seas, why they come back injured, or not come back at all. I wish everyday we would honor them as we do on the 4th of July, on Memorial Day, on 9-11, on Veteran's day. I wish the citizens of this country would love one another and be respectful no matter what. I wish every soldier would know just how much I appreciate them, how much my town appreciates them, how much we all appreciate them. I wish this nation was as United as it was in the months following 9-11, we were so hurt and pained over the attacks, that everyone was on the boat to go over and apply justice, so Patriotic. And now, children are growing up not knowing why the flags are at half-mast today, not knowing that 9-11 is a very important and special day to alot of people, not knowing why our troops, our loved ones, are overseas fighitng and dying. If only we could be United again as we once were, there would alot more love, and respect and alot less hatred. I wish they would know just how endebted I (we) feel to them, how much we owe them. I know in my heart that our troops are over there doing what's right for us and our country, and I also know that if we were to pull every single US soldier out, and bring them all back home, that fighting and attacking would happen all over again, but this time, it would be OUR women and children dying, the fighting and the war would be here, in our towns, in our home, on our soil. For that, we owe them ours lives, and our respect.


I support our troops 100%, all day every day! And I plan to for the rest of my life! I love the soldiers! You are my Heroes!! Take care, and God Bless you all!!


Love, Bry and Mark

0 post-its: