Monday, September 7, 2009

New craft completed!! AND a flood of new ideas!!


Hello for today! I have been crafting all weekend! I found this blog about Mod Podge!! And on this site, they create tons of things using Mod Podge, which I have recently fallen in love with. I found this recycled weave box, which I think is just about THE best idea ever!! (I bought some of the 3x3 shelves from Target, and you can buy these 12"x12" cloth boxes/drawers that go in them. Well, I have TONS of magazines around the house, about a year ago, I got duped into this National Magazine Exchange thing (chance of winning $1.2 million!) yeah, so I signed up for 12 magazines each month for the next 4 years or something... SO.. yeah, TONS of magazines aroung the house! And rather than just keep throwing them out and breaking our trash man's back and killing tons and tons of trees for no good reason - I decided to recycle those magazines into a 12"x12" weave box!! I've got some in-progress pictures, and even though at the time of the start of this post, it is not yet complete, I plan to go home and finish it up before bed! (We're at Gerrit and Angie's.... yes, again!) So, we'll just have to see how this turns out... I can't really wait until this is finished so I can see how easy it is, and how well this recycle box fits into my shelves... I have tons of these shelves, so if these boxes fit, I can totally make more!! Woot woot!!



Ok, so here are the steps I took to complete this Weave Box : I ripped apart one of my millions of magazines (I pick Glamour cuz I had 2 lying around and cuz it's the biggest), then after I ripped the pages out of both magazines, I started folding each page, into little strips. Then, stuck about 10 to little strip of paper, and then started weaving more little strips perpindicular to to 10. So, I ended up with 5 squares of weaved magazine (just like those placemats you made in kindergarten!!) And then put a handle on one of the sides (not the bottom!!) and then taped it all together. I was pretty proud of myself, until I tried to put the drawer into my awesome 3x3 shelves. Yeah, it don't FIT!! Dang it! I promise I measured it... maybe... I think I just held up one square and guessed that it would fit. Now this just goes to show, if it's my trial run of a project, I usually just run with it, and everything goes to pieces, sometimes the pieces come together, more often, the pieces just don't add up.... SO - I've got this awesome weave drawer made out of Glamour magazines, and it's just going to sit on top of my even awesome-er 3x3 shelves!! Maybe, I shall try again, but this time I will : 1: Measure measure MEASURE!! 2: not use such a BIG magazine.. and 3: make sure each square is the same!!



Ooooh!! But I DID finish something way cool! Rememeber those gum wrappers I've been saving?! Well, I went to Wal-Mart today and bought a $1 vase (I know, I have a TON of vases around the house, but I really really wanted a cylinder one, and it was cheap, and it's a first try!!) And I MP'd those wrappers to the vase! It looks so cool! (Sorry, no before pictures, I was too excited to just go ahead and start this one!) I love how this turned out!




So Angie, you're going to have to show me how to upload using Picasa!! This single-pic-load thing is killing me!!
Love always, Bry and Mark

0 post-its: