Thursday, September 3, 2009

Today's adventure

I left the house at 6:30 am, well, traffic sucked horribly! Apparently there was an accident on or around the exit I needed to take. And I'm guessing it was pretty bad because it involved a firetruck and 8 cop cars, at least that's what the radio said. So my appointment was at 8:00 am but I was supposed to be there at 7:30, I rolled in around 8:15, not really that late but still, I was late. I did use the free valet parking they have at the hospital, I felt kinda of guilty because I am fully funtional in both my legs, but I was late! Oh, and then the lady at the front desk sent me to the wrong floor! She thought I said Urology, when I really said Neurology, come on! They don't even look or sound alike!! J/K, I should learn not to mumble.... My headache today is at a 5. Well, I didn't sit for very long, then my name was called. I got my vitals taken care of, and sat in a room. The doc came in and started asking me questions right off the bat, I then handed her my newly cute'd Migraine Journal, and even though she didn't comment on how darn awesome it looks, she said it was very useful information (Yay!), and she took it to get copied. We went thru the neurology tests with pins and cold things, "does this feel different on the left or right?" "Does this change temp as it moves up your arm?" "How many times did you feel the pin?" and then we walked. She checked my balance and my strength in my arms, legs, hands and feet. (Yes she touched my feet! I don't even let Mark touch my feet!!) She told me there are 3 groups of medications they can give me that won't effect my heart : Seizure meds, blood pressure meds, and anti-depressant meds. Then she went on to tell me 3 things of what could be causing my migraines. 1: Lack of oxygen when I sleep. She's going to schedule a Sleep study where they watch me sleep in a totally non-stalker kind of way, and take all these tests and stuff. 2: Lack of seratonin in the brain. They would put me on a "mild" anti-depressant. 3: Slight blood clotting due to a hole in my heart (yes, that would mean a different hole than the ones they fixed back in February.) They put me on asprin daily to see if that has any effect on the migraines, if it does, that means it's #3. If no, then we go onto something else. Then I told her that I moved here from Utah last April, and she did this "Oh" like that was causing my migraines. She then said that the oxygen concentration is lower out here, and if I had an OSAT of 96 in Utah, I might have an OSAT of 91 here, not much difference, but when it comes to oxygen in the blood it really does make a difference. Understandable, but doesn't adjustment to the altitude take about a month or so? None of this year business! But I feel like this was a much needed step in the right direction, and that progress is being made, now it's time for action. We're in the trial process of some new medication, so we'll see in 3-4 weeks how that's treating the migraines. Things are good though, and things could always be alot worse (knock on wood). I just really really want to get this migraines taken care of. Maybe it could be something not related to anything physical, maybe it's an emotional or spiritual thing? The thing is, I am so worn out from fighting this migraines, I've just learned to deal with them, work thru them and get past them. I'm at my rope's end of things to try, and I don't want to stop trying. Last time I tried to figure out what was wrong resulted in discovering a 2 inch gap in my heart and open heart surgery. Things are good here though, we just keep looking up and praying for things to get better. We know that, in time, things will get better. That's just it though, it takes TIME! :) Love to all who have been there for us, and helped us out, love to you all!!

Love, bry and mark

0 post-its: